- Records must be sent in approved one cubic foot (12 x 15 x 10) records storage boxes. To order boxes, contact the Records Management Center at recordsmanagement.rutgers.edu.
- If you are storing documents that will not fit in the approved box (blueprints, ledger books, etc.), please contact us to discuss alternate storage options. Some packing guidelines:
- Do not pack hanging folders in boxes
- Do not over pack the box so that the lid does not go on firmly or so that the sides bulge
- Do not lay additional files on top of files already packed
- Leave at least 1 inch of space in each box to allow for the easy retrieval of files (additional space should be left if it is known that more files will be added at a future date)
- Do Not Write on or tape lists to the box
- Records should be packed in the same order as they were maintained in your filing cabinets.
- REQUIRED: Prepare a box level inventory of the contents of each box.
- Create and assign a unique box # that corresponds to the box level inventory.
- Use the box creation function of the online records management software to enter the information.
- RECOMMENDED: The Records Management Database is able to provide five level
indexing in addition to the box level.
- Files can be added to the system online, imported from various formats or entered from paper documents
- File level indexing can be provided to a department by the RURC (fees may apply).
- Place one hard copy of the inventory in the box and retain a second copy for your records.
- Notify the RURC that you have boxes that you would like picked up. All requests for records pick up are done through the online software.
- Labels will be generated and sent to you (each box will get a bar-coded label that corresponds to the original unique box #)
- The RURC will review the indexes prepared online or transmittal form for completeness. Upon approval, RURC will schedule to have your boxes picked up within 3 business days. You will receive an email notification confirming the date of your pickup.
Please Note: Bulk storage items such as furniture and office equipment CANNOT be accepted for storage at the Records Center. For information on warehousing options, please visit Material Services website at material.rutgers.edu.